As we lead into a new year, I thought I would take a minute to share with you 5 words that I will be focusing on in 2021 when it comes to Instagram!
From all areas of my life: personal and professional, I am not immune to feeling guilt, shame, fear and unworthiness. It happens from time-to-time. But what do I feel is the culprit for these unsettling feelings this past year? (Ok maybe the last 5 years)… Instagram! There, I said it! Boy does that feel good to get off my chest! I am not sure if you, or someone you know feels the same way… but isn’t it time that we no longer allow an app to take away so much joy and happiness?
When I wrote down what gives me joy, happiness and contentment – Instagram did not make the cut!
When I asked myself, “why do I use Instagram?” here were some of my answers…
- I feel I have to (as a business owner)
- To feel connection
- To express myself
Embarrassingly, I also use it to:
- To compare myself to others (for many years I compared my body to other accounts)
- To look at what other people are up to
- To relieve tension, and anxiety (although it just caused more!)
- To relieve boredom
- To “fit-in”
Reflecting on my answers, I have decided take back my personal power, by honouring my 5 words when using Instagram.
- Turn off the comment section of my posts (This is so that I do not feel compelled to open the app and respond right away). I will turn it back on, just not right now.
- I will NO LONGER swipe away unconsciously on my feed and browse as means of coping or avoiding.
- I will use my knowledge and education to inspire you OFF social media – through blog posts, my new Weekly Accountability Membership, and 1-to-1 coaching services.
- I will spend more time writing material that I own the rights to (I will no longer provide Facebook or Instagram with my best writing)
- I will show up for you and support you – OFF social media! I feel compelled to go back in time and live life how it used to be: long before apps took over our day-to-day productivity!
- I will no longer hold back what I believe needs to be talked about.
- I will say no to things that do not serve my purpose.
- I will plan out the time that I spend on social media – with purpose.
- I will honour both of OUR needs and make OUR health and wellness a priority – which means building an OFF-LINE connection!
- I will no longer judge my accomplishments based on what an app dictates is a success!
The 5 words above will make all the difference in how I will choose to live out 2021. Will they help you?
Grant yourself the strength to accept what you cannot control, the courage to change what you can, and the wisdom to know the difference between the two.
Thank you for taking the time to read this post. I hope that we can build a strong PERSONAL bond, and change the way we use social media in 2021!